Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

MORE ON HURON POST #5


Huron, South Dakota
July 21- 24

I began last week in Huron, South Dakota or as our Iowa friends say “ So’dakota.”  This was the town that began in 1880 and in 1882 the Chicago and North Western Railroad made it that far west and with it came telegraph operator, John Walter Breton.  It was there that he married his sweetheart, Lizzie Sawyer and produced two children before her death at the age of 26 in 1887.   At some point John and Marguerite followed them.  John Walter’s parents. From 1882 too 1894? The two families walked the same streets, lived in the same house I saw and made sad trips to Riverside Cemetery, Block 1, Lot 91, Grave 1 like I did

As I travel I note that many towns justifiably celebrate their native sons and daughters. Huron is the town where a U.S. Vice-President was raised.  Yep, Hubert Humphrey’s family had a general store here on the main street, Dakota Avenue.  Humphrey family members are still there and still run the little store.  Mitchell, S.D. is where the George and Eleanor McGovern Library and Center is on the campus of Dakota Wesleyan University.  The Center serves to prepare students for public service, reminding me that Bill Clinton’s school in Little Rock was not as innovative as I had thought.  The campus also houses the Midwest United Methodist Conference Headquarters, which is why I came to investigate the preacher husband of Maggie Breton Thompson.  Now in Sparta, it’s Deke Slayton, the astronaut.  He was one of the original Mercury Seven and later flew the Space Shuttle as well.  So traveling around is enlightening in ways I hadn’t anticipated.  It’s a treat.  If Huron is the State Fair town, then I should also point out that Sparta bills itself as the “Bicycle Capitol of America.”  After touring the Deke Slayton Memorial Space and Bicycle Museum I inquired about why they adopted the bicycle title and was told that Sparta was the first community to convert unused railroad tracks into bicycle trails.  The literature reports that there is over 30 miles of trails through scenic countryside with three long tunnels (one is a mile long!) for cheap thrills.  I added that last part after my shower experiences in Huron.  So, I look forward to enjoying what Milwaukee brags about …“The beer that made Milwaukee famous.”  On, on! 

So, last week. 
After a wonderful sleep in the motel l was refreshed and embarked on another stage of the research.  After making the discoveries I did, my task this week would be to follow-up, document, and organize my findings.  I wanted to gather supporting materials, make sure I had my sources correctly noted, explore some lesser points of interest, elaborate on some of the more interesting gains, and thank those who had helped.  My goal with this last endeavor was to leave a positive recollection of my visit because I may need to contact and ask for the assistance of these same people again.    

I returned to the Dakotland Museum, photographed their telegraph key mechanism and a few other items of interest.  I tried another office at the Courthouse, the Auditor’s office where I traced the taxes paid on the properties owned by family members.  This helped confirm property ownership and time periods.  A return trip to the library with the laptop allowed me to use Ancestry’s Search function and since the Huron papers have been digitized, the computer will search them for any name you specify.  In this way I found many of the little events that flesh out the people.  That night I returned to the motel and watched American Pickers and the tail end of RV Crazy, a Discovery channel special that I’d seen before but thought it timely to watch again before I meet the looneys at the vintage trailer rally in South Bend on the 28th. 

The next day I went to the Huron City Hall because J.W. had reported that he was an Alderman from 1887 to 1889.  I thought that they might have old minutes of meetings that he participated in, but alas they didn’t go that far back.  However, their listing of City Government people did and I learned that he only served one term (1892), not the two he reported in his memoirs. 

On Monday workers had blocked off the entrance to the fairgrounds because of the upcoming 4H Rodeo and Exhibition.  Tuesday, being curious, I entered the arena where little kids were competing in the Western Showmanship event.  Little kids and big horses made for a unique insight into the 4H world.  It was fun to see the parents/grandparents coaching the kids, just like in baseball or soccer.  I was the only one in sandals, everyone else wisely wearing boots since the horses show no discipline in were they relieve themselves.  “Watch your step” became a real coda for me as ambled around. 

The group I saw had to walk their horse to a standstill, then stand on the left (“Keep your feet facing the horse,” soto voiced a parent), wait for the judge to call them forward, then lead the horse forward, wait while the judge judged, turn the horse around and then trot him/her back to the starting point and then stand beside the OTHER side of the horse.  There was obviously more to it than I could see, but it was educational to see the age groups and the escalation of skills that were being appraised.  These kids weren’t even ON the horse, but looked forward to the days that they could compete in the older events.  There were Western and English saddle events so a really broad spectrum of skills was tested. 

My favorite was a little girl with the requisite blue Wrangler jeans, white western blouse, white cowboy (should I be saying cowperson?) hat, and pink cowboy boots being coached from outside the ring and photographed by her Grandpa.   She got a red ribbon, but Grandpa said she’d not be happy with that, purple was for the Grand Champion, and that was her goal.  Like the Women’s World Cup, there’s always an upcoming event to aspire to. 

I hung around some more, but did I mention the heat?  You can imagine the “atmosphere” in the arena.  On the way out I saw the older kids washing and cooling their horses on a cement area.  I returned to the library and did some writing about the first days.  In mid-afternoon I headed back to La Hacienda and had a quiet meal to myself.  This time I challenged them for a chimichanga plate and more of the dip.  In fact I got almost a soup bowl’s worth. So I ended up taking half the chimi and half the dip home to the motel refrigerator. This mid-afternoon dining was a new technique for me, but I ate at the motel breakfast area, then nothing for lunch or dinner, but had the main meal in mid-afternoon.  I like it!   Later that evening I walked over to (Sheryl’s suggestion) the Sun’n’Suds Laundromat.  Why the Sun part? It’s also a tanning salon so you can lighten your wash and darken your skin at the same time.  I wonder if they channel some of the dryer heat into the booths?

I pulled out early the next morning, July 20th headed for Spring Valley Minnesota, but stopped in Mitchell to check out the Methodist records.  A call to the Archivist  Laurie Langford, the day before rewarded me with several open documents in precise reference to my inquiries of the day before. Not only did she help me, but I helped her by allowing her to photocopy a portrait of Abram Thompson and the records that I had for him as well.  The conference has an ongoing project to have photos of the founding members of the regional conference and he was one that they were missing.  It was a wonderful exchange of resources because, as Sheryl had suggested, there might be mention of Maggie’s death in the church records since Abram was a preacher.  Indeed there was, Laurie had found it and allowed me to photocopy it. 

This instance of cooperation and support really touched me and prompted me to realize how much I owe to so many for making this trip possible.  First is my wife, Karen, who supported me on my wacky project to restore the trailer, who allows me to travel even when she has to stay home.  Then I think about all the people at Brown Hardware, the guys who helped me with carpentry, electrical, plumbing, staining, mechanical, and storage that made it possible to restore the trailer to roadworthy condition.  Now I see all the people who are helping me on the road.  Whether it’s a mechanic offering free advice, or a native that tells me how to get to the Ford dealer “Just go down to the second stop and go light.”  I find it rewarding to meet and gain from all those who share so freely.  It encourages and reminds me to be aware of those who could use my support or attentions.  It reminds me of my progressive concerns for others and the need to get this country off its selfish self-centeredness.  End of rant.  I’m grateful to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment